N     o     n     s     e     n     s     e         W     a     r     s         •         A     n         A     r     t     b     l     o     g

C110626

[110702]

It’s July!

That being said, here at the almost exact middle of the year is the first painting for 2011, Akemi Homura from Madoka.

I was telling J that, while there wasn’t anything about this that I thought was particularly bad, there wasn’t anything about this that I thought was particularly good either. Thus I can’t really pinpoint why I don’t like this much on the whole – but maybe I only feel that way because I don’t like it that much on the whole. I think one of the biggest issues with this one is that I didn’t properly mirror-balance it before doing all the work.

And some implementation details, I suppose:

I would like to take a moment to complain about the craptastic design of scanners these days. The glass is recessed such that if you want to scan anything larger than 8.5 x 11 you can’t. At least not well and in one pass (this is why I was getting all those craptastic scans in the first week of one-post-a-day). And this isn’t just the cheap AiO that I have, it’s the (relatively) expensive AiO upstairs and the expensive, dedicated Epson V200/V300 scanners we have at Stanford Libraries.

I was telling J that I’m always surprised at how well the two halves stitch together.

The background is what’s really experimental about this one. To make buildings in the “proper” line-and-paint way that I did the blocks in Misaka Mikoto 2010 would take forever. To make buildings in the full-paint way that I did the background in the Pieces Painting 2010 would also take forever. So in a real cost-cutting, interest-of-time style, I hybridized the two approaches; I used some crappy lines as guidelines such that the paint work would do most of the “heavy lifting”, but I left the lines there instead of really tightening up the paint.

I think this works reasonably well here because of how dark the painting is. I’m not sure how well it’ll scale to other paintings…

Quite frankly, I spent forever on the post-processing trying to find something that I really liked. Obviously I did not succeed because I’m still pretty meh about this. I tried several different different color-adjustment schemes, but I finally let it go when I, for whatever reason, decided to crop it much further from the bounds of the original scan (and where I originally thought I should crop it – you can see the arrows in the sketch). The above picture is one of the “alternative” finishes.

Overall, J and I were musing that this took a really short time to finish… but the folder is marked for the 26th, and today is 2nd, which means the start to finish time is still 6 days. The distribution of the work may have been funky, but I don’t actually think this took an unusually short time.

That’s it for now. Will try to go back to one sketch a day.

Published by D, on July 2nd, 2011 at 10:38 am. Filled under: d_paintsNo Comments

© nonsense wars 2011 • Justin LanDerek Lim • Powered by WordPress

eXTReMe Tracker